Yes, Utah has 5 National Parks, but how many State parks are there? Over 40 people. Having just recently discovered this fact, I'm pretty sure we're going to need to make a goal to visit each one and soon! Welcome back to Snow Canyon State Park near St. George.
I really wish my favorite red rocks were just a tad closer. We actually went back in May, but I just barely found these photos, and it was pretty cold for some reason.
I've spent very little time in Snow Canyon. The only time that I went was in college and found out after that we did something we were not allowed to do. All good clean fun, but apparently, not quite legal.
10 years later I finally went back with my husband and his family for a little Red Rock Time. We had the nieces and nephews ages ranging from weeks to 10 years old. We had time for only one hike and it was perfect.
This is the start of the trailhead. You might be able to see my nephew (10) running down the face of the red rock. He'll be the dot.
Pioneer Names is a super quick hike. I thought it was an odd name for a hike, but in the arch of the red rock there are pioneer names written with axle grease that date back to 1881. Pretty cool right?!
Makes one stop and think about how crazy Snow Canyon State Park would have been to find without a map and a trail blazed already for you.
The stroll up to the base of the rocks is pretty and sandy, I think that's the easy part for sure. Once there, you are faced with a very large, steep climb up. We were lucky it was a cooler day in St. George.
It wasn't hard going up, even in my dress and badly worn chacos.
Coming down...took me a little bit longer. I'm really not afraid of heights, but something about my outfit choice made me a little bit more hesitant.
The view is amazing from the top though.
Since it's such a short hike, it's quite busy. We saw groups after groups come and go. We probably weren't there longer than an hour.
The sand was so fine and cool that day.
If you only have a day, I would totally add this to your Southern Utah Bucket List.
Nielsen's Frozen Custard | St. George
445 E St George Blvd #102, St George, UT 84770
After our short hike we decided to head into St. George for some Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It's a local favorite and I'm not gonna lie, the Salted Cashew Caramel Custard was to die for. (I usually avoid all thing dairy but I couldn't resist a few bites.)
Check out some of our other Snow Canyon post by Stephanie here. Plus Stephanie has 6 things you need to know before going to Snow Canyon.
Use our Search button to find other Southern Utah or St. George gems.
Tips for Pioneer Names Hike
- Easy, Family Friendly
- .5 miles
- Bring water, you never know what could happen in the desert.
- Wear tennis shoes, mainly to help you climb the steep red rocks.
- Good for almost all ages.
List of Utah State Parks
- Anasazi State Park Museum
- Antelope Island State Park
- Bear Lake State Park
- Camp Floyd / Stagecoach Inn State Park and Museum
- Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park
- Dead Horse Point State Park
- Deer Creek State Park
- East Canyon State Park
- Edge of the Cedars State Park Museum
- Escalante Petrified Forest State Park
- Flight Park State Recreation Area
- Fremont Indian State Park and Museum
- Frontier Homestead State Park Museum
- Goblin Valley State Park
- Goosenecks State Park
- Great Salt Lake State Marina
- Green River State Park
- Gunlock State Park
- Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail State Park
- Huntington State Park
- Hyrum State Park
- Jordan River Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area
- Jordanelle State Park
- Kodachrome Basin State Park
- Millsite State Park
- Otter Creek State Park
- Palisade State Park
- Piute State Park
- Quail Creek State Park
- Red Fleet State Park
- Rockport State Park
- Sand Hollow State Park
- Scofield State Park
- Snow Canyon State Park
- Starvation State Park
- Steinaker State Park
- This Is the Place Heritage Park
- Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum
- Utah Field House of Natural History State Park Museum
- Utah Lake State Park
- Wasatch Mountain State Park
- Willard Bay State Park
- Yuba State Park