Even though the Ogden Valley Balloon Festival has already passed, we wanted you to see Adam's awesome photos! So next year, mark you calendars in August!
I don't want a summer without adventures. Kids holding my hand on our way to discovery. Simple times with happy hearts. This summer has been just that. The last opportunity before school starts. Was at the Ogden Valley Balloon Festival.
The origin of this festival began in 1994. It was used as a way to raise funds for a new Bowery at the Eden city park. The popularity forced the festival to move to wolf creek park. Where it has been hosted since 2004.
Last year sponsors including, Nordic Valley’s owners and Skyline Mountain Base made sizable contribution allowing the festival to be once again held at the Eden city park. Where my family and I were able to watch the Saturday evening light up and launch. It is also the only Balloon Festival in the intermountain west that adds the attraction of a balloon rally with all day activities including arts and other cultural events.
This festival featured approximately 15 hot air balloons split into 5 launches and a balloon glow throughout the weekend. This was especially amazing for the kids to see. After the morning launches, the activities are plentiful including Kite displays and demonstrations, Tethered Balloon Rides, Arts & Crafts Booths, Food trucks and booths, Kids Games & Activities and continuous live entertainment. There are also free concerts at Eden Park Friday and Saturday evenings.
The park estimates between 13,000 and 15,000 visitors from around the world during the three day festival. Saturday night was full of laughing families and smiling faces.
Located 12 miles east of Ogden city. In the heart of the Ogden Valley. This festival is free to attend.
Much to see. And much to do. This is and has been a memorable way to end the summer to many. This festival is well organized and full of friendly locals and visitors alike. A worth while adventure for the whole family.
Check out Adam's last post with us.
Please, no dogs, coolers or glass containers.
NOTE: Balloons only fly in calm air.
- Arrive early. Very early. This is an early morning sport. If you arrive before 6:30, you will get to watch the balloon pilots set up and maybe even help!
- If your diet allows for it, caffeinate! You can stop at Eden Coffee and Cocoa at the big four-way stop in Eden (the little Java Hut on the east side of the Valley Market grocery store) or get coffee and cocoa right on the field.
- Cardinal Rule Number One: NEVER smoke on the field. Propane tanks and lighting up definitely do not mix!
- Watch your feet. Balloonists are thrilled to have you watching, or even helping, as they inflate their balloons, but your shoes on the delicate fabric of the envelope can easily cause damage.
- Bring Cash. Many of the vendors do not accept credit cards, so keep this in mind. There are two ATM’s on the way to the site: Wells Fargo, just before the four-way stop in Eden, and Zions Bank ATM at the Valley Market (just north of the four-way stop) between the market and Java the Hut a.k.a. Eden Coffee and Cocoa.
- Dress in layers. The mornings are crisp, sometimes even cold, but once the sun comes up, the dry air begins to heat quickly and you’ll be glad to be able to peel off a jacket or a sweatshirt. Carry a small backpack to accommodate the layers.
- Don’t forget your sunglasses. When you’re heading to the field at 5:30 a.m. it’s easy to leave them behind, but once the sun rises, you’ll be missing them if they’re at home or in your hotel room.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, chapstick and bug repellent – especially if you have kids in tow.
- [IMG_1152-25] Jump into the action. Many balloonists need extra hands during the inflation process. If you want to help, speak up! They’ll put you to work holding the envelope or weighting the gondola before lift off. (If you plan on helping, bring a pair of gloves!)
- BUY YOURSELF A RIDE! The experience will be worth the price.
- If you have a digital camera, be sure the battery is charged, and if you’re shooting a regular camera, make sure you have plenty of film.
- After the balloons have launched, which will generally be by 8 a.m., enjoy a full breakfast and donate to a worthy charity.
No dogs, coolers or glass containers.
Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
If you know of any please share. Thank you!