I recently was able to visit the new Viking Beyond the Legend exhibit at the Natural History Museum of Utah with my kids. This is an impressive exhibit and full of fascinating history about the people living in Scandinavia between AD 750-1100.
This exhibit is immersive and vast, featuring over 400 artifacts! There really is so much beautiful history and information provided through this exhibit that I would recommend everyone experience it for themselves! Here are my top 5 reasons you and your kids should visit, Vikings Beyond the Legend.
1. Over a dozen interactive displays that immerse you into the daily life of the Scandinavian people during the Viking age!
2. View artifacts that until recently have only been seen in Scandinavia, like weapons, clothing and jewelry!
3. Learn fascinating facts, like the term "Viking" is not a nationality but rather a term Scandinavians used to describe trade trips and raids.
4. Explore the culture, learning about the people, their beliefs and how they influenced the world.
5. See a reconstruction of a Viking boat from the ninth-century, found in a burial mound in Gokstad in Norway!
I also want to point out that the Natural History Museum has special events as part of the exhibit, like meeting with Norse characters and September 23rd the museum is having a Norse Fest! Check their website for event days and details NHMU Calendar.
Vikings Beyond the Legend runs now until January 1, 2018