* Edited Nov. 2020
Today we hiked the 5 miles to Cold Water Canyon to view the world's biggest American flag. This American flag was hung to honor the late Mayor of North Ogden, Major Brent Taylor, who died serving his country and to honor all those who have served/serving.
If you are lucky, you might meet the guys behind Follow the Flag North Ogden. They were at the lookout and it was cool to hear the reason behind their cause. They hope the flag with Honor, Heal and inspire all.
Veteran's Day right around the corner, it's the perfect tribute to all those who have served.
The hike is 2.5 miles one way and it's a fairly steep climb. I only brought my baby on my back and left the others at school and a friend (thanks Jenny.)
There's actually two trail options, the main service road that's super steep, or the switchbacks, which are longer but really weren't bad at all. The trail was pretty busy, but it's fun to see a community come together. Luckily, Follow the Flag North Ogden has LOTS of good signage up to help direct you.
We're grateful for those who serve our Country and were glad to make the trek to view the flag and the hope that it instills.
We hope you'll join us for a service project!
Every year we go and decorate Veteran's Doors at a retirement home. See our first time here! We'd love for you to do the same locally. It doesn't have to be a retirement home, it can just be a brother, a neighbor, a friend, or maybe your grandparents. Either way, show a Veteran some love!
- 5 mile roundtrip
- There is a switchback option trail that is easier but longer. We did the switchback trail going up and then walked down the steep section on the way back.
- We don't recommend taking the "easy" trail, not worth it. The other trail is faster and not that much harder.
- The Major will fly under November 12th, 2020
- The trail is fairly steep, gaining over 1,000 elevations.
- We saw all ages of adults, senior citizens and lots of kids. We probably passed 100 people.
- Dogs are allowed but everyone kept their dog on a leash.
- Once you reach the flag there is an awesome view about 200 yards in the canyon.
- Outhouses available in parking lot at trailhead.
Coldwater Canyon, North Ogden, UT